How to choose your email list; which one is right for you?
Every week someone asks me about email lists.
Most people ask the same 2 questions:
* Do I need an email list?
* Which is the best one to use?
And I always say the same thing:
“Yes, you do need an email list and which one to use? “it depends””
As we approach the end of the year and head into a new year and a new decade it’s a terrific time to “take stock” in your business. Time to think about what’s working and what’s not working – and make changes where necessary.
It’s also a wonderful time to start new things and to leave some old habits, ways of being behind us. **scroll down to find out how I can help you Plan Your 2020
Let’s tackle the first question: Do I need an email list? I say “yes” and here are my 3 key reasons why I believe email list + regular contact is important for your business:
First: Whatever business you are in your mail list is the number 1 way to build a relationship with your audience in an intimate way.
Second: When you have an email list, it’s yours Yes, Instagram and FaceBook – and now Tik Tok – and so many more are terrific ways to share your message and engage your tribe. And we need to be where our clients are – absolutely! The thing is those platforms are owned by some one else.
Third: Email is extremely effective for client retention. Every time you send an email it sits there waiting to be read …. and if your information is engaging, interesting and helpful to your audience, they will look forward to reading it.
Convinced? Ready to get started? or re-ignite your email list?
A couple of questions to ask yourself:
- What are my client retention goals for my business?
- How often would my clients want to hear from me?
- What would I write about in my newsletter?
- Would I do it myself or have some one else do it?
- and then … which system would I use?
Which system to use?
Right now you are reading this email through software provided by Campaign Monitor. I deliberately chose CM many years ago because it was started by 2 Australians. When I very first started my first business www.ingridlouise.com I used another system based in US.
There are many email service providers ESPs to choose from.
Key considerations include the capacity to:
- Import your current contact list
- Integrate with any lead generator tools you are using
- Maintain a subscriber list
- Segment subscribers for different email campaigns
- Offer pre-made templates
- Offer the ability to send out using “plain text”
- Give you the opportunity to design and construct email templates
- Auto respond to customer inquiries or responses
- Deliver statistics, analytics, and reports about email campaigns
This last point is super important and in fact this is another important reason that emails are so powerful in your business.
Action for you now:
If you don’t have an email list, is it time to think about starting one?
If you already do have an email list, is it time to think about making some changes? doing more of what’s working? Mixing it up a bit?
As always if you have any questions, I’m a mouse click away and here to help you. email firstname.lastname@example.org